prep time: 15 minutes
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup corn
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can (10 oz) mild Rotel
- 2 cans (20 ounces) condensed chicken broth
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained
- 1 can (6 oz) black olives, sliced
- 5 whole corn tortillas, cut into strips 2-3 inches
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Mix cumin, chili pepper, garlic powder, and salt.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil on chicken breasts, then sprinkle a small amount of spice mix on both sides.
- Set aside the rest of the spice mix.
- Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until chicken is done.
- Use two forks to shred chicken.
- Set chicken aside.
- Heat olive oil on a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, onion, and peppers and cook until tender (about 7 minutes). Stir and add the rest of the spice mix.
- Stir to combine, then add shredded chicken and stir.
- Pour in Rotel, chicken stock, and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Now add in the corn and beans.
- Cook another 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 45 minutes, uncovered.
- Pour flour into the soup, then simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- Turn off heat and allow to sit for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
- While the soup simmers put 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pan.
- When oil is hot fry tortilla strips in batches until they’re crisp.
- When done remove them to a plate.
- Five minutes before serving, gently stir in tortilla strips.
- Serve the soup, garnishing with tortilla strips, avocado, sour cream, and shredded cheese as desired.
- Sour Cream
- Diced Avocado
- Grated Monterey Jack Cheese