prep time: 20 minutes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 whole carrot, Shredded
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/8 cups cashews, crushed
- 1 can water chestnuts, drained (8 oz)
- 3 Tablespoons green onion
- 1 large head of iceberg lettuce, leafed
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Bring 1 tablespoon of oil to high heat in a wok or large frying pan.
- Add chicken and cook 8-10 minutes or until browned.
- Set chicken aside.
- Mince water chestnuts, green onion, and mushrooms.
- Mince cooled chicken and add shredded carrots.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the wok or pan.
- Add chicken, carrots, water chestnuts, green onion, and mushrooms to the wok or pan.
- Add onion powder and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce and cook to reduce volume for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return chicken to pot and add chicken stock and soy sauce.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add soy sauce, ketchup, lemon juice, brown sugar, and Worcestershire to the pan.
- Add pepper to the mixture.
- Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve with lettuce “cups”.
suggested side dishes:
- Egg rolls